The PROtroniC TopLINE by Schaeffler Engineering can be used e.g. as an engine, transmission or vehicle control unit. It offers the user all degrees of freedom of a development control unit and high computing power. At the same time, one can work with the familiar development tools and reuse the proven results in the series.
Seamless from prototyping phase to series production development
The PROtroniC TopLINE significantly accelerates the development of mechatronic systems. Long before the production ECU is available, new solutions can be tested and secured quickly and easily with the flexibly adaptable prototyping control unit.
Customers work with a model-based tool-chain that is also suitable for series development — thus creating a seamless transition from the prototyping phase to series development and getting ideas quicker on the road.
4 good reasons for the PROtroniC TopLINE
The PROtroniC TopLINE convinces with internal and external values that provide developers with clear benefits for their daily work.
1. Integrated power stage outputs and signal conditioning
- For all versions of the PROtroniC TopLINE
2. Customized HW / SW solutions for specific applications
- State-of-the-art FPGA technology for a software-based, quick, and easy configuration of the I/Os according to the specific applications with a Windows™‑tool
- Adjustment of the offered hardware modules for customer specific applications
3. "Safety on Board" concept to unite RCP and functional safety
- A multilevel monitoring concept for developing application-specific safety functions in the prototyping system
- Use of development tools that are approved for development according to ISO 26262
4. Seamless tool-chain from design to series production
- Development environment of the PROtroniC TopLINE based on tools used in the automobile industry for prototyping and series developments
- Supporting different code generators and different measurement as well as calibration tools
As part of our projects, we as a research institute enter "new automotive territory" on a daily basis. In addition to maintaining sufficient hardware reserves, this requires a maximum degree of flexibility in order to meet the challenges of tomorrow with confidence. Whether in function development or the investigation and application of new hardware components, PROtroniC is the ideal tool for us to reach our goal effectively and reliably.
PROtroniC TopLINE as engine, transmission or universal control unit
For engine applications
This variant is designed for the development of classic combustion engines (gasoline, diesel, gas engines) as well as of alternative drives.
For transmission applications
Thanks to a VC module for the control of transmission valves, this variant is specially designed for transmission applications (classic or electrified).
The PROtroniC TopLINE EMU from Schaeffler Engineering used at ABT Sportsline enables efficient pre-development of new vehicle systems and functionalities. In addition, the PROtroniC TopLINE offers versatile interfaces for analyzing these systems, enabling us to optimally implement internal and external requirements.
High-performance in rapid control prototyping
Details of the PROtroniC TopLINE at a glance
Seamless from design to production
In order to simplify the everyday work with the PROtroniC, its development environment is based on the widespread tools used in the automobile industry. In this way, developers not only have the possibility to freely select the code generator, but also the existing measurement and application tools.
1. Model-based function development
Graphic modeling of the control functions with
2. Offline simulations
Testing and optimization of draft functions against a controlled system through offline simulations at the computer with
3. Hardware mapping
A link between the inputs and outputs of the function model and the PROtroniC control unit via an application controller interface for
4. Auto code generation
Automatic generation of efficient series codes and, if required, with
- Embedded Coder™
- Download of the generated software via the supplied boot loader
- Testing and verification of new functions on the test bench, in the vehicle or via hardware-in-the-loop simulation
6. Measurement & Application
Fine-tuning and measurement of the control software with
- MARC I
Maximum flexibility and at the same time excellent manageability: With the PROtroniC TopLINE we use, it is possible to easily test and analyze new control strategies and functional logic in real engine operation. Schaeffler Engineering’s support for all questions relating to engine control and the functional framework is exemplary.
3-level monitoring concept for developing application-specific safety functions
The PROtroniC development control unit from Schaeffler Engineering was used in the development and testing of a test fleet of vehicles with fuel cell technology. Due to the limited installation space, special requirements were placed on the compactness of the prototyping control unit. The integrated signal conditioning and power output stages made it possible to meet the requirements for installation space. The necessary number of inputs and outputs for the complex application could also be provided. In order to be able to drive the vehicles on public roads, a multi-level safety concept was developed and integrated together with the BWM Group.
The "Safety on Board" concept at a glance:
- A multi-stage monitoring system guarantees the realization of user-specific safety functions during prototyping
- Only development tools are used that are compatible with ISO 26262
- Enables the conception of safety-related functions in a model-based development environment
- Supports the realization of user-specific safety functions already during prototyping
- Helps to build an optimal system safety for fleet and road tests
- Offers one tool chain for everything – from prototyping to series production